Sunday, November 16, 2008

Poor me

I've had a consistent thought running through my mind for the last couple of weeks...

I am blessed beyond measure. And I complain about it.

I don't even know how I could define blessed at this point because it encompasses so much more than material possessions. But, I know that I have many things that other people in this world will never have.

Every time I catch myself saying anything negative about my job, I think of the people who are losing their jobs at that very moment...being called into an office and told that they are no longer needed.

Every time I complain about a homework assignment I think of the thousands (possibly millions) of people who will never have the chance to study at a university, and a private God-centered one at that.

I think it's strange that as Americans we make the very blessings we have into a fit of self pity every day.

"I have to wake up so early for work"
"This paper is taking forever to write"
"I am so tired of my job"
"Why do we have to read that book?"

I don't want to feel sorry for myself and my friends because we get to have jobs and study at amazing schools...it makes no sense at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think this is inspiring beacause well, i sometimes find myself complaining too. Or, i just say:

"School is interfiering with my social life!!" in a somewhat bitter tone.

However, i would like to point out that more than a blessing, it is a privilege. Those are two words i think should not be mistaken. We are privileged, over others, to have a job, an education, and so forth. Blessed? Jesus didn't say blessed are those who have jobs and get an education. He said blessed are those who thirst and hunger for rightesness (among other things). Saying that we are blessed because we have those things assumes that those who don't have them are not. And although i know you don't think that, i really think what you mean to say is that you shouldn't complain of your privilege. Which those of us who are privileged tend to do that a lot (ugh. we suck).

In this case, noting the inequalities that exist in the world because you have things others don't, and coming to the realization that that is not right - that, i would say, is a blessing in it of itself. (See Matt 5:3-11). Having people to share that with is also a blessing, i would say.

So, from reading your blog, it sounds like u truly are blessed. And more than being blessed, you are privileged. What a combo!

The best part about this? With privilege comes some sort of power. What a blessing would it be to continue using the privelege to bring about a broader picture of the kingdom of God that Jesus depicted through your privilege, like, through your job and education?

Yei? I think you're already working toward that - i would encourage you to continue to use the privilege you have, continue to awknolwedge the fact that you are privaleged in that sense, and continue to find ways to be a blessing in the lives of others.

good call on writing this blog.

damaris