Monday, December 18, 2006

"When I was growing up..."

is one of the phrases that I've caught myself saying a lot lately...and I mean A LOT.

This, of course, makes me feel old. I know I'm not "old", but it makes me feel that way.

I've caught myself saying things like:
"When I was in school..."
"I had to [insert difficult task here] everyday just to get a dollar."
"Back in the day..."
"When I was young..."
"In the 90's..."
I just want to clarify that, in no way, shape, or form am I proud of these things coming out of my mouth.

I thought about it and realized that lots of things changed since I was a kid...for example:
1) Cassettes changed to Cd's. (my first Cd, No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" 8th grade)
2) VHS turned into DVD.
3) No more waiting to see what your pics look like (and I thought the "1 hour photo" was fast)-digital cameras are so mainstream that my 8 year old cousin has his very own.
4) Computers no longer need that big, thin floppy from when I was in 2nd grade and the monitors don't make the "eeerrrrrrrr" sound when you make a mistake.
5) Beepers turned to cell phones and blackberries and sidekicks and ......

Working in student ministry, will of course, have you surrounded by tons of young-ins...and will also remind you that you are no longer one of them-but it really does surprise me to see how much the world has changed since I was a little kid and even since I was a teenager.

I will always categorize the 90's as the one of the best decades of my life...no matter how uncool it might seem :) And I AM proud of that!

No comments: