Saturday, September 8, 2007

iHop-e to be like Howard

Last night after church Howard, his co-worker Nelda and I went to iHop for a quick late night snack.

We ordered three dishes to share: Some cheese blintzes, an appetizer sampler and a crispy banana caramel cheesecake. Howard didn't let me order a coke (because he's such a good friend) so we all got raspberry iced teas.

We talked and laughed so much!

It was one of those conversations that's fun but also insightful...like you feel that everyone in the conversation said their piece.

It was nice spending time with Nelda...I hadn't seen her since before she got married last December. I felt like she really enjoyed it too.

After we left the restaurant and said goodbye to Nelda, Howard and I stood in the parking lot for a while. We talked about the church, my job, and the frustrations of life.
Howard did nothing but listen...and at the end all he said was, "I'm sure God knows".

I love the fact that Howard didn't try to give me a solution, false hope or even judge the situations I vented about. He just listened.

I want to be more like that.

I talk too much, try to help people see a way out, try to offer hope. Many times all you need is someone to listen, nod in response to your feelings, smile at you, make you feel like they are with you. Sometimes there are no words. Only friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love this quote!!

"Sometimes there are just no words. Just friends."

I love it!!

dp