Thursday, September 6, 2007

Simudate*

*a play on words-simulate and date combined.

On Sunday night I went out to spend some time with my friend Jason.

I've known Jason for about 5 years but really known Jason for about 2.

Here's how it went:
Jason picked me up at my house at around 8:30pm (the time the movie we planned to watch began), so we made a switch of movie theaters and went to a closer one where "The Nanny Diaries" was playing at 9:45pm.

Because we had some extra time we decided to go to Chipotle for burritos. I had a vegetarian (not so much-as I added pinto beans which are cooked with bacon) burrito with tortilla chips, salsa and water, while Jason got an apple juice and bottle of water. We chatted, laughed, caught up and then headed off for the movie.

We saw the 2 hour movie which could have clearly told the story in 30 minutes...laughed a bit, but mostly chatted through the annoying parts.

After that, we made our way to the Starbucks drive-thru, only to be told it was closed. So Denny's was the next stop. I had a strawberry milkshake and Jason had a root beer float. We laughed and made fun a bit more and then I got dropped off...right before 1am.

Sounds normal, right? Not so much.
A) I haven't gotten "picked up" to go out in YEARS. It felt so strange.

B) Jason actually got out of the car when he came to my house...full on wanted to greet me and open the car door to let me in. Because I am the way I am, I ran to the car and left him hanging...AWKWARD (in Lo's voice...Hills fans know what I mean).

C) Jason would not let me pay for anything.

D) Chivalry was alive and well...he completely pulled out all the stops with opening doors, letting me go in first, making way for me the whole night.

E) There was definite flirtation happening. Giggles, touches on the knee, complements, foolish jokes. Weird.

F) It was a three parter (as my brother in law likes to call it). Dinner, movie and snack.

The entire night felt like a date.
Not because I like Jason, (don't get me wrong...he's cute, but I'd kill him if we ever dated) but because I was so not used to a guy doing all the guy stuff that guys do: chivalry, paying for everything, fun flirtation, etc.

Because it made me uncomfortable to be around such a gentleman I did things like: talk about how every time I go to Denny's I get bad stomach problems, talk about other guys and how cute they are, insult my "date" (in a playful way), say the word crap and vomit at least 5 times, make him ask for our "Nannie" tickets, laughed at him after he asked for our "Nannie" tickets.

Point being, this was not a date but because of how awkward I felt in a date-like situation it has clearly shown me that I am in no way, shape or form ready to date.

All this to say, I always thought I was a good "dater" or worth dating. Now I'm thinking...not so much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! You totally went on a date and didn't even tell me!! This is so big!! Chilvarly huh?! Not everyone gets that often! How awkward and hillarius this sounds though! I totally wished there was a video camera the whole time!! Anyways, its ok to go on dates... and well, you will be 25 years old soon - i think that if your not ready yet, then you better start getting ready.. or better yet, who needs to date? right? No pressure... but i think you should hang out with jason again... (wink wink ;)

How fun!!

damaris

Bibi said...

That was so a date!! And I've seen you two together before so I can totally picture the two of you walking talking and sitting together, how freaking cute! I'm am know 100 times happier that I did'nt go.

And stop saying you could never date him!! Never say never!!

Anonymous said...

LOL!! I FOUND IT!!! ONE OF MY VERY FAVORITE POSTS!! DEFINATELY A DATE..OKAY ALL SOUNDS GREAT , BUT..HE TOUCHED UR KNEE..THAT'S SUSPICIOUS :)

FACTS!!
1) U MUST INFOR ME OF THESE DATES
2) U DESERVE CHIVALRY, COMPLEMENTS AND BEING TREATED LIKE ROYALTY.
3) I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE DATING
4) I LOVE YOU!!!