Monday, October 27, 2008

I Told You So

Here's a bit of advice for those of you who are young...

Listen to your parents.

My parents gave me tons of advice when I became an "adult" (when I turned 18) and began college and my own job.

Here's two:

1. Never let your gas tank go below the quarter mark. If you wait until after that, your car begins to scrape the gunk from the bottom of the tank and can cause damage to your vehicle. Plus, you never have to worry about getting stranded anywhere.

2. Pay your bills ahead of time. Not the day of or the day before...but in advance. It will help your credit score and also bring tons of savings when it comes time to pay late fees.

I didn't listen to my parents and spent the better part of my late teens and early twenties waiting for my gas light to go off before I'd pull into the gas station and sending in late payments. I'd always freak out and stress out and get mad when I had to pay extra fees.

I stopped doing that 2 years ago. I pay everything at least 2 weeks before it's due. I fill my tank when I'm at a quarter tank...not one drop less (okay, sometimes).

Trust me kids...listen to your parents, you'll lead a happy and stress-free life! At least when it comes to your car and bills!

No comments: