Thursday, October 4, 2007

Church

I've been thinking a lot lately...

specifically about the church...

not just my home church, but THE CHURCH in general.

Here is some food for thought:

Where is the line drawn between comfort and challenge?

Let me re-phrase that.

If you are in a church where you feel that major changes need to take place (and you've attempted to be a change agent) when do you decide that either a) you should stay and continue to BE the change vs. b) leave because of your lack of ability to actually follow in the direction that the church is going?

If you leave, are you just quitting or being obedient in not staying at a place where you don't feel peace.

If you stay, are you being faithful or courageous in standing up for what is right?

This brings me to a new, but connected, point. Should you choose a church where you feel comfortable, challenged or both? Where is the line drawn between all of those?

Just my thoughts on church...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know... i've been thinkin' the exact same thing.

I'll get back to you on this one... good question. Keep them questions rollin! After all:

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - as my homeboy Socrates stated a long time ago...

Anonymous said...

iS THAT HOWARD QUOTING SOCRATES!? GREAT THOUGHTS...I THINK THE CHURCH NEEDS TO BE A SAFE PLACE FOR US AND OTHERS, A PLACE WHERE FEEL LOVED AND PEACE, AND A PLACE THAT ULTIMATELY CHALLENGES TO GET OUTSIDE OF OUR CONFORT ZONE FOR THE PURPOSE OF BECOMING MORE LIKE CHRIST!! I GUESS IT COME DOWN TO THE FACT THAT GOD'S WORD, THE WORLD AROUND US, OBSTACLES WE FACE WILL MAKE US UNFORTABLE..AND OUR CHURCH FAMILY AND LEADERS SHOULD BE WHERE WE CAN GOT FOR CONFORT!! MAYBE?? MAN..I FEEL LIKE I NOW LESS ABOUT EVERYTHING NOW A DAYS