Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Seriously?

We have lunch as a team (with everyone on church staff) about twice a week.

We all choose one restaurant and order. One person volunteers to go out and pick up lunch. We have it upstairs, outside the Pastoral Staff offices.

I've been trying to have a more servile attitude so I've been volunteering quite a bit recently.

I have found that I have a pet peeve when it comes to being a lunch delivery lady:

It bugs the heck out of me every time I come in with all these bags and drink-filled cups (totally exhausted from walking up the stairs with all the stuff) and people ask me, "So, which one's mine?".

Here's my inner monologue: "I just drove all the way out to pick up your food, missed valuable productivity time, hauled all this food upstairs, practically put it on your lap and you still want me to look through everything and tell you which one's yours? The least you could do is check for yourself."

I know that my inner monologue probably counteracts my servant attitude, but dude...

it seriously bugs me...

seriously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember those good old times when we used to sit together, but is it only twice a week? ya no es todo los dias?
And I totally understand what you're saying, it kinda sucks que te vean llegar toda cargada y no tengan ni la cortesia para decirte "oh deja te ayudo". Si molesta!!! Pero bueno, sobretodas las cosas sigue manteniendo ese espiritu servicial :)
-Anita

Anonymous said...

You're a weirdo...you have a lot of weird pet peeves for no particular reasons...like things bug u just because...oh gosh...i hope i don't become one of your pet peeve one day...u'll just hate me for no particular reason...

Bibi said...

What do you do when they ask you for their food? Hand it to them?

But I think I get Howard, this new pet peeve of yours really doesn't have valid reasoning... I mean if you brought the food, you should know/remember in which bag it was placed and it's probably just faster/easier if you pull everything out for them, that way someones food doesn't go thought 5 or 6 hands before it gets to the consumer.

But, yeah, I guess I understand that you feel like your servile attitude is being taken advantage of and/or unappreciated.

Maybe, next time think of it as finishing (following through) with your servile assignment.