Thursday, March 15, 2007

From 100 to 300

Last night Edgar and I went to watch the new epic movie 300.

It was the second time that Edgar got to chose the movie (I usually get to pick the movie when we go out to the theater). The first one he ever chose was Van Helsing like 300 hundred years ago. I think that movie went into VHS retirement even before DVDs became mainstream.

Anyway, we saw it and I'm going to attempt to do a review of it.
Pros
-Good story line (interesting and took new, different turns).
-Attractive, Spartan, bare chested warriors on the screen for 89% of the movie.
-A love story weaved in between the fighting.
-Cool slow motion moments.
-Had me on the edge of my seat...like I was really in the middle of the battle.
-Evoked emotion in me (tenderness, fear, anger, you get the idea).

Cons
-Had some racy "physical" scenes.
-Expressed every one of the deadly sins through the course of the movie.
-Had some "why don't we look away" moments.

For a manly movie...it was good, but I left thinking:
"Why are Spartans speaking English? And why are they speaking it with an English accent? And why is it that any time a movie that is situated in a foreign land the characters speak perfect English with an English accent? Shouldn't they speak in their native tongue? And if they can't because then we (the viewers) won't understand them, shouldn't they at least speak English with an accent from their native country?".

I give it a B-.

No comments: