Thursday, March 22, 2007

So Natural-ized




Howard became a naturalized citizen today!!!!!

I took the morning off from work to go support him in his re-birth as an American.

It was very exciting! And I couldn't help but get a bit teary-eyed when I saw all those people attain something (that I am sure) they have waited so long for.

The fun part is, that they have the new citizens come out of the convention center in the most peculiar way. The officials set up two sets of yellow tape to "hold the crowds back" and everyone lines up on either side of the tape cheering and waving to the citizens as they walk out. It kind of reminded me of a marathon. Picture it, you're a brand new citizen and your prize is to walk out with a little plastic American flag in one hand, your naturalization certificate in the other while strangers either cheer for you or look before and after you as they seek out THEIR friend or relative. Yikes! Not something I would want to do. Especially because the "walk of fame" is at least 100 yards long.

We waited for so long to see Howard come out of the convention center but nothing. I tippy-toed to see over the crowds and try to spot him in the midst of the other 4, 800 people that were becoming citizens...nothing. Finally, after 1 hour of waiting, he came out...looking so proud, it was cute.

We took him to Chris n Pitts to have a real American lunch after becoming a real American citizen. He chose the steak and ribs, Edgar and I got baby back ribs with potatoes.

Today brought some things to mind:
*I am so thankful to have been born in the U.S.A.
*It's really exciting to go to an event like this!
*I feel really bad for not being able to make it to my mom's naturalization ceremony.
*Patriotism is a value rarely taught now a days-one that I greatly value (BTW).
*Wow, today was hot!
* I feel so privileged to be sharing this special day with Howard.

No comments: