Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I wanted to retreat from the retreat...

Okay...so last weekend our entire church leadership (adults, students, pretty much anyone who does anything in the church) went out to Hemet for a one day retreat. And to be quite honest I would have much rathered stayed home with my family. But there are times when one must do what one must do...so to Hemet we went!
Everyone went in their own car and many people carpooled including me! In my car was Bibi, Howard, Evelyn, Janette and I.

The day began with me peeling myself out of my bed and showering reluctantly while Janette and Bibi got to my house. The three of us headed out to pick up Evelyn and then on to the 60 to pick up Howard. We call Howard to find out how exactly to get to his house (since he hasn't had us over since he moved there)...he didn't pick up...33 un-answered phone calls later...we gave up on the fact he would be awake (please refer to LATE-ly post for details on Howard's timeliness). So we decide to wake Aaron Li up and ask him for directions to Howard's. Strangely enough Li is as gracious as he's ever been and helps us out.

We miraculously find his house and knock on the door to find out that Howard's mom just woke him up 5 minutes before we got there. So we proceed to see Grace's (Howard's mom) art, read her testimony and even see a picture of Howard as a little boy. Howard comes down, checks my car, and we are off.

We stop by McDonald's for breakfast because we knew we were going to be late for breakfast at the retreat. We get lost for a while and then finally we arrive to the retreat at the end of the worship...but right before the opening message.

As we walk in...an overwhelming scent of armpit and moisture fills our nostrils...so much that some gagging occurs. We come to find out, that out of respect for the location owners, we have to take our shoes off before entering the sanctuary. This news explains the smells.

We proceed to be bored and distracted during the message. This boredom pushes Evelyn, Howard and Bibi to construct this abstract collage on the backside of the pew that is in front of them.
Evelyn is so excited about her creation!
During our afternoon break (3 hours long) we found nothing better to do but play Taboo in the nursery.
Of course Janette, Cookie and I won :)
While we were playing Howard and some of the students climbed rocks.
We ended up leaving early and went to Chipotle for dinner. Here are Janette's and my half burritos making one whole friendship.
After Chipotle we got free frozen yogurt at the new Golden Spoon that was opening up next door.
The best part of the whole day was driving back with my best friends...it was amazing...THEY are amazing.

2 comments:

Bibi said...

Yah, yes. Retreating from the retreat was so much fun. We should do it again some day.

Jessica Torres said...

I'm there!