Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Me: Miss. Torres

Yesterday I started my brand new job.

After finishing up here at church I head three blocks over to one of our Sunday school teachers' house and tutor her 3 kids from 4:15-7:15pm Monday through Thursday.

I was a little hesitant to get the job but after a little persuasion from my mom I decided to do it. And if yesterday is any indication of how it will go...I'm glad I decided to go for it.

I forgot how much fun spending time with kids was. The kids I'm tutoring are in 2nd, 4th and 6th grade; so it's this perfect balance of ages.

For most of my college years all I did was work with kids: teacher's aide, substitute teacher, reading tutor, after school program tutor...it's funny, but yesterday I realized how much I missed that part of my life. Spending time with kids: one on one.

Needless to say, I am enjoying my new job and am happy to be able to help one of our teachers and her kids.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job at church. It just seems that I end up spending more time with adults, than with kids/students at times. It's nice to revisit my life as a teacher :), even if it is for only 12 hours a week.

Side Note: I was used to hearing myself being called "Miss. Torres" for so long that now after not being called that for such a long time...it felt weird to type it. Funny huh?

2 comments:

Bibi said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new job!!

Working with kids one on one is so much fun.

Jessica Torres said...

i love it