Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dating?

I just started reading this book last week, "Boundaries in Dating".

I’m reading it for two reasons. First of all, I’ve always been anti-dating and recently wanted to look beyond the superficiality of it all and really find out what benefits can come from a dating relationship. Secondly, I’m working on some curriculum for an all-nighter with our high school girls small groups that will center on relationships.

I've only gotten through the preface and first two chapters, everything Cloud and Townsend have written (thus far) makes so much sense, but as I've continued to read the word dating over and over I realized that I don't even know how the authors of this book define dating. I don't even know what my definition of the word is. So I looked it up:

Wikipedia says...
Dating is any social activity performed as a pair or even a group with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as their partner in a intimate relationship or as a spouse. The word refers to the act of agreeing on a time and "date" when a pair can meet and engage in some social activity.

Dictionary.com says...
An engagement to go out socially with another person, often out of romantic interest.

Allwords.com says...
A planned meeting or social outing, usually with a person one is attached to.A person whom one is meeting or going out with and who one usually finds attractive.

I must say, everywhere I searched had a flimsy, unfocused answer. There weren't any sources that really gave a GOOD definition.

I've come to the following conclusion.

Dating is what you want it to be, you set the rules, boundaries, definition, and then voice that. Make it known, no secrets, be yourself and just put all the cards on the table. If you don't, someone will end up disappointed or disillusioned.

Now, I've got to come up with my definition...

No comments: